Sunday, November 21, 2010

7,6....

Dear Madonna,

When I first started dancing West Coast Swing I remember coming to Phoenix for a business trip. My friend, Kathy, who introduced me to WCS originally in New York, happened to be in California on business, too. Her mother was living in Scottsdale at the time so we both extended our trips to spend the weekend in Arizona.

Her niece drove up from Tuscon, and the three of us went out Salsa dancing on the Saturday night. Then on the Sunday night we went to the Greater Phoenix Swing Dance Society's dance at the Elks Lodge.

We were warmly welcomed as out-of-towners, who had "found" their dance on the internet - still a rather novel occurance. I remember it was a bit of a challenge dancing with Leaders who wanted to chat at the same time; I was still counting 1,2, 3&4, 5&6 in my head!

It must have been in November, just prior to the Open, because we got to see a demo of a performance by club members who were going to the US Open soon to compete. (I remember it was Gary Jobst dancing to "Knock, knock, knock on wood").

Well, here we are, years later: it's November, I'm in Arizona, and I'm going to be demo-ing *my* US Open routine with The Meat *tonight* at a swing dance in Phoenix.

Amazing!

No comments: