Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Time of My Life

Dear Madonna,

The Meat was holding out on me.  The week before the Open he went for x-rays of his elbow and knee and was told by his doc that he had hairline fractures in both joints. Of course he didn't tell *me* that until after we'd danced in both the Semis and the Finals - that's right, we made Finals, and actually opened the Saturday night show! 

For my part, I got some very, very sad news that Saturday morning. That, coupled with lack of sleep and perfomance anxiety, had me feeling extremely fragile all day. I would have burst into tears if anyone had looked at me the wrong way - although you wouldn't know it from any of the pictures. In each and every shot I'm grinning ear-to-ear, and appear to be relaxed, confident, and (thanks to Dana's make-up artistry) quite glamorous. That in itself deserves a medal, don't you think?

In retrospect it was a bit disappointing to finish just outside the top five, but I think we were very lucky to take 6th in a field of 15 couples - some of whom were seasoned competitors, and *all* were great to watch - once we had put our piece on the floor and I was no longer too nervous to take a look at the other routines.

Sadly. my love affair with Chase was cut short when a younger woman caught his eye:


The entire event seems like a bit of a dream, now. We saw such incredible peformances - from Showcase, to Classic, to the wildly talented Junior divsion - and laughed at the (very cool) floor sweepers and the antics of the Pros during the Swing Challenge. My peeps back in Toronto and those who were attending CASH Bash in Cleveland sent their love and support and have assured me that I made Toronto proud.

So what's up next?  The Meat and I can take part in the Masters Tour starting with the America's Classic in January....

I've already booked my flights!

Julie

1 comment:

dianne said...

What was the really sad news? Di needs to know.