Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Looking Back - Part 2

Dear Madonna,

More highlights of 2010....

At the Michigan Classic I danced in the Advanced Strictly Swing competition with Nelson Clarke, who was amazing - as usual. We made one enormous error - pictured above - which we wouldn't be able to repeat if we tried, but the judges liked our performance, or perhaps our recovery, and gave us my first (and so far only)  "picket fence" win.  Thanks, Nelson!


I brought home two beautiful trophies from the Liberty Swing Dance Championships, and made multiple trips to the podium at Kansas City, Swing Niagara, and Sea to Sky. So, yeah, it was a great year competitively - and I don't dare start thanking all my Leaders in case I forget someone.  I also got to dance "spotlight" at a number of events this year - always a huge (albiet terrifying) thrill.


Apart from all the travel back and forth across the continent to rehearse with The Meat and attend dance events, I actually had some memorable business trips:  to Regina (where I flirted with Mounties and went to my first Riders game), to beautiful Kelowna, British Columbia, and to Atlanta - where I fulfilled a life-long dream to dance in a cage, like Go-Go Girl.


West Coast Swing in Toronto continued to flourish in 2010, with the Toronto Open Swing Dance Championships (TOSH) taking place in July, "Hustle/Salsa/Swing" nights that were launched at 6 Degrees, and WCS Wednesdays which ran for about six months at Alleycatz.  Still going strong are Elaine's dances in Ancaster, and the Toronto Swing Dance Society provides ongoing support and encouragemnt to the greater Swing community.  And of course Tuesday nights at the Dovercourt House remain my most passionate focus: providing valuable instruction and a fun and friendly dance environment for WCS dancers of all levels.


Diva Productions hosted a workshop (with TSDS) to welcome John Kirkconnell to Ontario; Vancouver's loss has been our gain.  Our annual CAMH Benefit Dance was well-supported with generous donations from West Coast dancers, and a grand prize courtesy of the Toronto International Swing Dance Championships.


Oh, and all the home projects I had planned for 2010 that didn't get accomplished?  I'll get around to them this year for sure.

Julie

No comments: