Thursday, February 2, 2012

Let's Get Real


Dear Madonna,

I don't think I can do it any more.

I've been trying for years now to develop an appreciation for modern art, but I remain - unconvinced.

When I was in Montreal recently I visited the Musee d'Art Contemporian. There were a couple of installations that commanded my interest, but for the most part I just didn't see the point.

Same with the "Come up to my room" show at The Gladstone Hotel. (The Gladstone is where the Dear John's played their reunion gig - around which JulieFest was planned ). I was expecting the hotel-guestrooms-cum-gallery space to reflect the setting something more hotel-related than, well, small mirrored discs with hand-painted portraits of famous people, sheets draped like curtains with infra-red designs, chandeliers made from paper-clips, or computer parts hung like a mobile.

Sigh.

I'm wondering if my preference for representational art is reflected in the way I dance and my confusion over more "abstract" approaches or styles.

No comments: