Friday, December 12, 2008

Sexy Rexy

Dear Madonna,

You'll never guess what I did this week.

My friend, Shelley, and I went to see the Nutcracker ballet on Thursday night. It was a beautiful production featuring lavish costumes, eye-popping sets, and stunning performances by the principal dancers (as well as endearing appearances by National Ballet students).

During the intermission I spotted Rex Harrington, formal principal dancer with the National Ballet of Canada, now its Artistic Director, and most recently a guest judge on the Canadian version of the television show "So You Think You Can Dance." I not only spotted him, I accosted him, introducing myself, foisting my card on him, and 'pitching' him on my fund-raising idea for next year's CAMH Benefit.

For the past two years I've raised money for the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health as a kind of memorial to my brother, Michael. I've got a great idea for next year's Benefit and it would be way cool if I could get "Sexy Rexy", as he calls himself, to take part. He's already a spokesperson for CAMH's Transforming Lives advertising campaign which features high-profile celebrities sharing personal stories in an attempt to de-stigmatize mental health and addiction issues. I asked him how I could keep in touch with him and - would you believe? - he gave me his email address!

After the ballet Shelley and I went across the street to the bar in the Hilton Hotel, but that's another story :)

Ciao,
Julie

No comments: