Saturday, April 14, 2012

A Night To Remember

Dear Madonna.

It was sad when the great ship went down, and this "Titanic Week" has been full of stories and insights into the tragedy, and its ongoing place in our culture and imagination.

I remember watching the movie "A Night To Remember" on our way to Prince Edward Island. It was a summer vaction/family road trip, and we had stopped overnight at a motel in Bangor, Maine. We had adjoinging rooms: my parents in one, and my brothers and our baby-sitter, Margie, in the other. While the boys slept, Margie let me stay up to watch the movie with her.

There was a long line-up to catch the ferry to P.E.I. (this was long before the bridge was built), so by the time we boarded and got underway it was night-time. I remember the eerie feeling of walking on the deck, the images of a sinking ship so fresh in my mind.

No comments: