Friday, February 11, 2011

DIY Kisses

Dear Madonna,

May-be it’s the whole Valentine’s Day-chocolate association but today I had a sudden craving for chocolate meringue cookies.

Not just any chocolate meringue cookies – although from what I can see all the recipes are quite similar – but the ones my mother used to make. They were called “Eight Calorie Chocolate Kisses”. I searched in vain my recipe binder then Googled “chocolate meringue cookies” and found several recipes. One endorsed by the Heart and Stroke Association of Canada. Another endorsed (sort of) by... *you*! You’re quoted as saying:

"This is a meringue cookie with a double chocolate taste. Store these in an air tight container."

Anyway, as I said all the recipes sound pretty much the same, and resemble what I remember from my mother’s: egg whites, cocoa, sugar, cream of tartar…. What is cream of tartar anyway?  There are even some recipes that pop up when you search “chocolate meringue kisses”.

For Valentine’s day, in the absence of the real thing – kisses, I mean – I think I’ll enjoy some meringue.

No comments: